Batteries are never safe for babies and toddlers but each year one kind of battery causes more trouble than most...
Batteries are never safe for babies and toddlers but each year one kind of battery causes more trouble than most -- the button battery. Button batteries are tiny and round -- the kind of battery you'll find in a hearing aid, camera, watch, calculators, and some smaller toys and electronics. Over 2,000 kids a year swallow button batteries. Not a nice number to hear.
  • Make sure all items that may contain button batteries are out of your little one's reach.
  • If there are items laying around make sure that the backs are secure (no batteries popping out).
  • Make sure pets don't get a hold of items with button batteries -- they can loosen the batteries or backs of say, a calculator and make them easier for a child to get to.
  • Always dispose of batteries properly; in a place your child will not be able to get into. A garbage behind child-proof cupboards for instance.
If your baby (or any age child) swallows one call poison control at 800-222-1222. They'll send you right to the ER. Your child can choke on one of course but also batteries can leak causing internal chemical burns.

recommended for you

Comments