With allergy season in full swing some of you expecting mamas may be wondering if Claritin, or another allergy medication...
With allergy season in full swing some of you expecting mamas may be wondering if Claritin, or another allergy medication is safe during pregnancy. The real answer is no. There are very few drugs that have been proven 100% safe during pregnancy, and allergy medications are not in that safe category. The more complex answer is you need to discuss it with your health care provide. In some cases it may be wise for you to take allergy medications. In most cases your health care provider and you will weigh the risks of you not taking the medicine to the risks of the medicine on your baby's development and health. Some things you can do besides taking medications include:
- Limiting your exposure to allergens. I.e don't hit the park for a walk, if the grass has been freshly mowed.
- Using a HEPA approved vacuum cleaner.
- Using an air purifier indoors.
- Get rid of pets, which can suck, I know. But this is your health and your baby's health.
- Acupuncture - although, only go to a certified acupuncturist - because acupuncture done incorrectly can bring on early labor.
- Talk to your health care provider about simple nasal sprays - often these provide not perfect relief, but enough to get you through your pregnancy.