I talk about sunny day care for babies a lot here, but that's because it's super important so now that...
I talk about sunny day care for babies a lot here, but that's because it's super important so now that summer is almost here let's look at some reminder tips. Why sun protection matters:
- Babies have thinner and more delicate skin than adults so they're more prone to sun burns.
- Recent evidence notes that protecting your baby's skin now may be key to preventing later skin issues like skin cancer and premature aging.
- An overly hot or burned baby is not a baby you want to hang with - talk about cranky!
Tips for sun protection with sunscreen:
- Always apply sunscreen on your baby's skin (YEAR ROUND). Use sunscreen specifically made for babies that offers both UVB and UVA protection and get one with an SPF 25.
- Because some sunscreen contains icky chemicals look for a natural or organic chemical-free brand of safe sunscreen.
- Don't use last year's sunscreen. Sunscreen does become less effective over time, so buy new annually.
- Your baby can be exposed when it's cloudy, so apply sunscreen no matter what the weather is like - each and every time you go outside.
- Place a hat on your baby's head and dress him in lightweight clothing that covers as much of his body as possible - sunscreen is good, but it's not 100% effective at blocking the sun's rays.