1/4 teaspoon flax seed, finely ground
1-2 tablespoons of Cheerios (or other cereal) or 2-3 graham crackers
5-6 1/2 inch cubes of firm tofu
Place ground flax seed and cereal/graham crackers in a bag and crush into crumbs. Add tofu and shake lightly to coat the tofu cubes with the crumb mixture. Serve immediately.
Age to introduce: Over 12 months
Flax seed for the whole family
Here are few quick tips for adding more flax seed into your family meals. If you have never purchased flax seed, it is located in the baking section of most supermarkets. It is available as whole seeds or ground. Whole seeds can be ground using a blender or a coffee grinder. It is recommended that flax seed be eaten finely ground for maximum nutritional benefits.
1. Pancakes: Add 1/4 cup ground flax seed to your favorite pancake mix, and for extra flavor add 1 tablespoon of vanilla.
2. Pizza: Sprinkle 1/4 cup of ground flax seed on your favorite homemade or frozen pizza. Cook according to normal directions.
3. Breads: Brush dinner rolls with olive oil, sprinkle the rolls with ground flax seed and warm them in the oven.
4. Breading: Add flax seed (1 tablespoon to 1/4 cup) to your favorite bread crumbs and use this mixture as a coating for tofu, fish, poultry or pork, or as a topping for casseroles, stuffed mushrooms and more.
5. Veggies: Sprinkle ground flax seed on hot vegetables just before serving OR sprinkle ground flax seed on a salad and toss with dressing.
6. Breakfast: Add a teaspoon of ground flax seed to yogurt, oatmeal or granola.
7. Dessert: Sprinkle ground flax seed on vanilla pudding, ice cream or apple crisp.
Flax seed fun and site-ings
Flax seed is ancient history: Flax seed has enjoyed the limelight at many moments in history, here are a few of its more distinguished moments:
-- Source: The Flax Council of Canada Web site.
To learn more about flax seed and find recipes, check out these web sites:
The Flax Council of Canada -- www.flaxcouncil.ca/index.html
Prairie Flax Products -- www.flaxproducts.com
Dakota Flax -- www.dakotaflax.com