August 1-7 is World Breastfeeding Week! There are so many great things about this week each year one post will...
August 1-7 is World Breastfeeding Week! There are so many great things about this week each year one post will never cover it. I'll be doing one post each day this week about the events and ideas created within this amazing week-long celebration of breastfeeding. Here are some highlights to get us started. This year's objectives
- To mobilize the world to the potential for saving ONE million babies starting with ONE simple action: allowing the baby to initiate breastfeeding in the first hour of life.
- To promote immediate skin-to-skin contact of the mother and baby and continuing with exclusive breastfeeding for six months.
- To encourage ministers of health and other authorities to include the initiation of breastfeeding in the first hour as a key indicator for preventive health.
- To ensure that families know how important a babyâ€™s first hour is, so that they can make sure that their babies are given this opportunity.
- To support the newly revised and revitalized Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI), with its emphasis on integration and expansion, and on the early initiation of breastfeeding.