Ipecac... Ipecac is a drug that makes you vomit. You may have heard that ipecac syrup is good when your baby...
Ipecac...
images.jpgIpecac is a drug that makes you vomit. You may have heard that ipecac syrup is good when your baby or toddler has swallowed a poison. For years that was standard advice but it is no longer ever recommended as a home treatment for babies or toddlers or children. You should never try to make your child vomit; in some cases that can actually hurt your child more because some poisons are toxic to the throat and mouth when vomited up. If your child swallows (or even if you think she has swallowed a poison) the first thing you do is call poison control -- the national number is 800-222-1222. If you can't remember that number or your child is unresponsive call 911 immediately. If your little one has drunk something corrosive (a chemical that burns) rinse her mouth with cool water but don't let her swallow. If you aren't sure what a situation like this looks like here's an idea; you walk into a room and see your child who can't talk yet and an open container of poisonous substance... do you call poison control or 911? Yes. It's always better to be safe. Poison control will not care if it's a false alarm; not one bit. And it could save your child's life.

recommended for you

Comments