It used to be that only families of means hired baby help, such as a nanny, but today this has...
It used to be that only families of means hired baby help, such as a nanny, but today this has become far more common and affordable. There are some good reasons to hire a nanny and also some clues that a nanny wouldn't fit your household. There are also some varying types of help you can hire. A nanny may only do baby care -- but sometimes may do other home tasks as well. If you hire a postpartum doula she'll be able to offer mama help like breastfeeding advice and so can some mother's helpers. Lastly there are housekeepers. Sometimes you may not need baby help but a clean house can help you be a better mama by eliminating stress. Reasons to hire help for after your baby comes:
- To give yourself a chance to rest and heal after a difficult pregnancy, birth, or cesarean birth.
- If you have older children a helper can give you a chance to spend some time with them.
- If you feel overwhelmed about not knowing anything about babies. If this is your first baby, hiring a nanny or other help can provide you with tips and advice about baby care. However, this isn't necessary if you can't afford it. Other mama friends, your mother, and your baby's pediatrician can all help you out. Not to mention resources like this and other baby websites and blogs.
- If you need advice about breastfeeding. Not all mama's helpers can provide breastfeeding advice but a postpartum doula can while also helping with the baby.
- You don't like having extra people in your house. If you're going to be more stressed with help don't go there.
- You want to learn faster -- no joke, help is nice but nothing pumps up your baby care learning curve like doing it yourself.
- Your partner and or other friends and family can help for free. Why spend money if you don't have to?