The March of Dimes recommends women get 1,000 milligrams (mg) per day if you're pregnant or not. That seems like...
The March of Dimes recommends women get 1,000 milligrams (mg) per day if you're pregnant or not. That seems like a lot, but the good news is that calcium is everywhere. That's especially good news if you hate the taste of milk (like me) or are lactose intolerant.
- You can sneak in some calcium every day with the following food choices...
- String cheese stick - one small stick has just 100 calories and around 150 mg of calcium!
- Have a bowl of calcium-fortified breakfast cereal - even if you have it sans milk as a crunchy snack, you'll still get a bolt of calcium. Try Total Cranberry Crunch Cereal.
- Almonds pack a lot of calcium into a small package. Just 1/4 cup of almonds has about 89 mg of calcium.
- One cup broccoli with dinner is an extra 62 mg of calcium.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of red kidney beans into your veggie salad to gain an extra 75 mg of calcium.
- 2 raw apricots offer a little over 50 mg.
- And then there's cheesecake. I mean don't go nuts, but the typical slice offers around 100 mg of calcium.