A 34 Year Old Mother In Colorado, Shannon Johnson, Apparently Left Her One-Year-Old Son In The Bathtub In Another Room While She Played Cafe World, Checked A Friend's Status And Shared Videos On Facebook. Her Baby Drowned.
A 34 year old mother in Colorado, Shannon Johnson, apparently left her one-year-old son in the bathtub in another room while she played Cafe World, checked a friend's status and shared videos on Facebook. Her baby drowned.
Remember the woman who killed her newborn because he was interfering with her Farmville addiction? Today, I came across a news story about a woman whose commitment to her Facebook account resulted in her child drowning. While it happened because of neglect and not murder, I'm not less distressed about the death of a baby. A 34 year old mother in Colorado, Shannon Johnson, apparently left her one year old son in the bathtub in another room while she played Cafe World, checked a friend's status and shared videos on Facebook. According to All Facebook,
She told police that her son had been playing in the bathtub for ten minutes, during which time she’d checked him once. After a three minute stretch in which she couldn’t hear him play, she went to the bathroom to check and discovered him floating sideways with his face down. She grabbed the boy out of the water and heard gurgling.I'm honestly floored...completely and totally floored. I get the social media interest. While I can honestly say that I've never played a single game on Facebook (probably a sad sign of my ever-shrinking Mommy Brain more than anything), I do like Facebook, Twitter, email and all of the other social media and Internet options that allow me to stay connected to the outside world. I'll even acknowledge that the other day, I put my kids in the bathtub, sat down on a stool in the bathroom that is ten inches from the tub and scrolled through Twitter while they squealed and splashed and had a great time. I constantly supervised my kids, who are two and three years old. I never stopped watching them.They were inches from my face. I could reach out and touch them, which I often did. My phone even got wet. (Lesson learned.) However, I never would have done that when they were just a year old and I certainly never, ever, ever would leave the bathroom now or any time in the future until they're showering on their own. EVER. I'm no super mom. I don't even pretend to be a super mom. But there are some very basic parenting "rules" that we all need to follow, and one of those is to never leave our babies in the bathtub alone -- not to answer the phone, not to get something that we forgot in another room, and certain not to play on the computer. Remember never to leave your baby unattended in the bath for any reason. And if you are truly suffering from an online addiction (I have no idea whether the mother in this situation was), please get help. Kids should never die because we're too "plugged in."