What you need to know
Prenatal testing

You may want every prenatal test in the book or choose to skip some. Either way, it's important to understand results and what they may — or may not — mean for you and your baby.

True or false?

What's the difference between prenatal tests?

Prenatal screenings — such as those for Down syndrome and Spina Bifida markers — are routinely offered to pregnant women regardless of health history or if they or the father or donor have risks for certain genetic diseases.

Prenatal diagnostic tests — such as amniocentesis or high level ultrasounds — are usually offered if a screening shows an increased likelihood of fetal abnormality. These tests can actually diagnose certain birth defects.

To take or not take: Prenatal testing>>

What do positive or negative prenatal test results mean for me and my baby?

According to the California Department of Health Genetic Disease Screening Program, a positive result means there is a higher than usual chance for some birth defects. The key word is chance — it doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem.

Your doctor or midwife may offer diagnostic testing such as amniocentesis or a more in-depth ultrasound. These tests can help confirm if your baby has the health issue you were screened for, but an amnio carries a risk of miscarriage so you'll have another choice to make — have the test or take a wait-and-see approach.

A negative result means your baby probably does not have one of the birth defects she was screened for — but provides no guarantees that your baby may not have health issues that can't be screened during pregnancy.

Ingrid A. Rodi, M.D., associate clinical professor of OB-GYN at the Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, explains, "Screening tests, by definition, cast a wide net. That means that for non-invasive first trimester screening, women will be given the odds of having a problem. If the risk of having a fetus with a problem is greater than a certain number, say 1 percent, the woman might opt to have more testing, in some cases invasive testing. Of course, a woman who is told that her fetus has a 1 percent chance of having a problem, will have 99 percent chance of being fine."

Learn why amnio isn't the only option>>

Is it worth the worry?

Pregnancy can be stressful enough without worrying if something may be wrong, and sometimes waiting for prenatal test results is the hardest part. Rodi says, "Some results can come back in a few days, others require 10 to 14 days."

Be sure to talk things over with your healthcare provider and that you understand the potential benefits, risks and alternatives to prenatal testing including what results may mean for you and your baby.

More about prenatal testing

Accurate and non-invasive prenatal testing
Understanding the AFP test
I wish I hadn't known: The ups and downs of prenatal testing

Tags: amniocentesis


recommended for you

Comments

carpinteyromua November 11, 2014
锘縮entiment Symbolizes 1 Year Considering Abortion Filibuster Family Testifies While in CPS Suggestions Listening to Wendy Davis Markings Twelve months Considering that Abortion Filibuster Texas Authorities May possibly Back Medical Marijuana Guidelines Florida Migrants Situation Leaves Small children Within Limbo Davis Desires Condition of Urgent Expressed Regarding Colorado Circumference Cruz, Abbott: Barack obama To Blame For Flooding For Minors Hillary Clinton During Austin, texas To enhance Precious moment All of us Admin of Education Trips Together with Group Scholars Arizona Gov. Perry States that 'Stepped Within It' Together with Gay Comments Dan Postpone Will go Well before The state of texas Court docket regarding Illegal Appeal Texas Republican Bash Produces 2014 Social gathering Platform Could very well Texas' Perry Turn out to be Thinking Proceed to Ca .? The president For Irak Safety measures: 'We Won't be able to Practice it For Them' UT/TT Poll: Abbott Prospects Davis Through 14 Things Colorado Gov. Perry Comes anywhere close Homosexuality To be able to Alcoholism Activists Mention Cantor's Reduction Information Migrants Improve Passing Novice Which Defeat Place The greater part Leader Cantor Seems Into the future Wendy Davis Restores Strategy Supervisor In the midst of Difficulties Sen. Brenard Officially Renounces Canadian Citizenship Arizona GOP Encounters Wining During Nasty Immigration law Cedar plank Assessment: Colorado Regarded as 'Kind Of your Electoral Wasteland' Performing Chief Suggests The state of virginia Is not going to Endure Lovato Texas' Adjust Via Violet So that you can Purple Explains to This year Competitions Perry Providing Final Tx Republicans Address Because Governor NRA Comes Returning 'Open Carry' Self deprecation Arizona Girls Political Planner Slaughtered Around Car wreck State guidelines May possibly Transform University Self-control Style, Just as before Arizona Institutions the first Pressing Outside Mineral water Deposit Program Shinseki Resigns In the midst of Veterans' Medical care Problems Attorney at law: Breaking Into Wendy Davis Home Price tag Buyer Boehner, Pelosi Selecting Wisdom Upon Expertise With Embattled Veterans administration Assistant Political election Struggles Present themselves Following Runoff Arizona Teas Social gathering Conservatives Succeed Best Republicans Run-off Prize draws Watch dog: 115 Morning Consultation Put it off For Phoenix, arizona Virtual assistant Inside Meat, Arizona Could find A further Their tea Get together Star Barack obama: US Must Contribute Globally Nonetheless Indicate Discipline Ike Music 3 Time period Texas Lt. Gov. Bob Dewhurst Tx Runoff Election Comes With A good amount of Mudslinging Florida Runoffs Might be Finish With regard to Lt. Gov. Signifiant




<a href=http://www.www.vakantieplaats.nl/application/language/template.php?moncler-heren-omlaag-hooded-jassen-zwart-2074-p-577.html>Moncler Heren omlaag Hooded Jassen zwart 2074 Nieuwste Verkoop Online</a>
<a href=http://www.vakantieplaats.nl/application/language/template2.php?moncler-dames-hooded-omlaag-riem-coats-brown-1275-p-233.html>Moncler Dames Hooded omlaag Riem Coats Brown 1275 Lage Prijs Verkoop Winkel 2014</a>
<a href=http://www.www.vakantieplaats.nl/application/language/template.php?moncler-kids-hooded-vest-omlaag-paars-p-745.html>Moncler Kids Hooded Vest omlaag Paars Nieuwste Verkoop Online</a>
<a href=http://www.kimobiel.nl/template2.php?moncler-heren-down-jassen-blauw-1792-p-419.html>Moncler Heren Down Jassen blauw 1792 Lage Prijs Verkoop Winkel 2014</a>
<a href=http://www.www.kimobiel.nl/template.php?moncler-ski-dames-down-jassen-deep-blauw-p-862.html>Moncler Ski Dames Down Jassen Deep Blauw Nieuwste Verkoop Online</a>