At around three to four months your little one should be able to start semi-grabbing items - toys, stuffed pals,...
At around three to four months your little one should be able to start semi-grabbing items - toys, stuffed pals, and sadly, your hair and face. Here's how to help him perfect that tight little grip.
- Instead of always handing your baby what he wants, let him try to go for it himself.
- Push toys within close range of his arms and hands.
- Make sure you provide a variety of items your baby can grab - wooden blocks, smaller soft balls, and soft books, to name a few.
- Don't tease. Grabbing and learning to hold items is no fun, if you always pull them away. Repeat to self, "My baby is not the pet dog." (Seriously, do you know how many parents I know who do this).
- Make sure grabbing is fun. Baby gyms rock because they're relaxed. Your little one can lay under it peacefully and reach for hanging items. Most baby gyms have toys of various textures and colors too - which works all the senses.