Starting your baby on solids is a big exciting step. Make sure baby mealtimes are safe from the start with...
Starting your baby on solids is a big exciting step. Make sure baby mealtimes are safe from the start with these tips...
Getting ready to eat:
- Always wash your own hands before preparing your baby's food - even if you're just popping open a jar.
- Always wash your baby's hands before she eats. This is a great way to get your babe into the habit of hand washing.
- Make sure you have a safe seat for your baby (high chair or booster) and make sure she's sitting in it properly. Check out the seat straps each mealtime to make sure they're secure.
- Gather all the stuff you'll need. You cannot walk away from an eating baby so have all food and utensils on hand before the meal starts. Make sure you have a bunch of spoons (babies like to throw).
- NEVER leave the room while your baby is eating.
- Don't share bites of your baby's food. Your saliva can make her more prone to colds and cavities.
- Use a real baby spoon (rubber coated) to protect her gums.
- Be aware of baby food choking hazards and don't serve them.
- Only serve one food item at a time until you're sure your baby is not allergic to that item.
- Wash your baby's hands and face.
- Brush your baby's gums and or new teeth.
- Clean the area around the high chair very well. You don't want a crawler to find any food later on ad eat it without supervision.
- Clean the highchair about once a week. Really gross bits of food can hide in your baby's highchair.
- Learn what sorts of baby foods are safe to keep and which you should toss - click here to learn more.