Babies under a year may seem too young for books but that's not true at all. Babies are great little...
Babies under a year may seem too young for books but that's not true at all. Babies are great little people to share books with, and sharing reading and book time is a super way to start your baby on the path to a life as a reader. Books to start with:
- Bath time baby books.
- Soft cloth books.
- Lift-the-flap books.
- Textured books (see-and-touch) or interactive books (like baby books with a little mirror).
- Baby board books.
- You can even make your own baby board book with recycled cardboard and pictures of familiar faces and places that your baby loves.
- Read to your baby in super short time spurts - up to a several times a day.
- While you read point out pictures and name them.
- Allow your baby to hold the books. This is why baby specific books are a good plan - your baby can chew them, pull at them, lick them, and nothing will happen.
- No pressure! If your baby is not up for reading time, let it go.