Back Pain Is One Of The Common Problems During Pregnancy. Learn Tips That Can Help You Minimize The Pain.
Back pain during pregnancy is not uncommon, in fact studies show it may be one of the most common pregnancy...
Back pain during pregnancy is not uncommon, in fact studies show it may be one of the most common pregnancy problems. You may experience back pain due to your growing belly which puts pressure and added strain on your back plus your abdominal muscles can weaken. Both of these issues and more can increase the potential for discomfort and often real pain. However, pain during pregnancy doesn't have to be the rule. You can do some things to minimize or cut out back pain. The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) offers the following tips to help minimize back pain during pregnancy:
- Wear low-heeled (but not flat) shoes with good arch support.
- Ask for help when lifting heavy objects.
- When standing for long periods, place one foot on a stool or box.
- If your bed is too soft, have someone help you place a board between the mattress and box spring.
- Do not bend over from the waist to pick things up—squat down, bend your knees, and keep your back straight.
- Sit in chairs with good back support, or use a small pillow behind the low part of your back.
- Try to sleep on your side with one or two pillows between your legs for support.
- Apply heat or cold to the painful area or massage it.